REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
4A-GE and 4A-FE Engines
See Figure 1
Only the 1988-92 4A-GE and 4A-FE engines are equipped with a cold start injector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the wiring connector at the cold start injector.
- Wrap the fuel pipe connection in a rag or towel. Remove the two union bolts and the cold start injector pipe with its gaskets. Slowly loosen the union bolt.
- Remove the two retaining bolts and remove the cold start injector with its gasket.
- When reinstalling, always use a new gasket for the injector. Install it with the injector, then tighten the two mounting bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (82 inch lbs.).
- Again using new gaskets, connect the cold start injector pipe to the delivery pipe (fuel rail) and to the cold start injector. Tighten the bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
- Install the wiring to the cold start injector.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for leaks.
See Figure 2
- Switch the ignition OFF .
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the cold start injector
- Use an ohmmeter to check the resistance of the injector. Correct resistance is 2-4 ohms. at 68°F (20°C) on the 4A-FE engine and 3-5 ohms. at 68°F (20°C) on the 4A-GE engine. The resistance specification may vary slightly with the temperature of the injector. Use common sense and good judgment when testing.
- If the resistance is not within specifications, it must be replaced.
- Reconnect the electrical wiring to the cold start injector.