REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Remove the transaxle from the vehicle. Follow procedures outlined in Drive Train .
If equipped with a manual transaxle, perform the following procedures:
- Matchmark the pressure plate and flywheel.
- Remove the pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts and the clutch assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the flywheel-to-crankshaft bolts and the flywheel. The flywheel is a moderately heavy component. Handle it carefully and protect it on the workbench.
If equipped with an automatic transaxle, perform the following procedures:
- Matchmark the flexplate or driveplate and crankshaft.
- Remove the torque converter drive plate-to-crankshaft bolts and the torque converter drive plate or flexplate.
- Remove the bolts holding the rear end plate to the engine and the remove the rear end plate.
- Remove the rear oil seal retainer-to-engine bolts, rear oil seal retainer to oil pan bolts and the rear oil seal retainer.
- Using a small pry bar, pry the rear oil seal retainer from the mating surfaces.
- Using a drive punch or a hammer and small screwdriver, drive the oil seal from the rear bearing retainer.
- Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces. Make certain that the contact surfaces are completely free of oil and foreign matter.
- Clean the oil seal mounting surface.
- Using multi-purpose grease, lubricate the new seal lips.
- Using a suitable seal installation tool, tap the seal straight into the bore of the retainer.
- Position a new gasket on the retainer and coat it lightly with gasket sealer. Fit the seal retainer into place on the engine; be careful when installing the oil seal over the crankshaft.
- Install the six retaining bolts and tighten them to 7 ft. lbs. (84 inch lbs.)
- Install the rear end plate. Tighten its bolts to 7.5 ft. lbs. (90 inch lbs.).
- Reinstall either the flexplate (automatic) or the flywheel (manual), carefully observing the matchmarks made earlier. Tighten the flexplate bolts or the flywheel bolts to specifications.
- Install the clutch disc and pressure plate (manual transaxle).
- Reinstall the transaxle.