REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Open the tailgate completely.
- Remove the inner trim panel.
- Disconnect all electrical wiring. Remove the harness and position out of the way.
- Scribe the hinge location on the tailgate to aid in installation.
- Disconnect the damper stays from the tailgate and position out of the way. Disconnect the rear defroster wiring, if equipped.
- Remove the tailgate-to-hinge bolts and remove the tailgate from the vehicle.
- Position the tailgate on the vehicle and align the scribe marks.
- Install the tailgate-to-hinge bolts and secure tightly.
- Attach the damper stays to the tailgate assembly.
- Install the electrical harness and reattach all connections.
- Install the interior trim panel.
- Close the tailgate slowly to check for proper alignment, and adjust as required.
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
To adjust the door in forward/rearward and left/right directions, loosen the body side hinge bolts and position the tailgate as required. tighten the bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
To adjust the tailgate lock striker, loosen the mounting bolts and using a plastic hammer, tap the striker to the desired position. Removing of the lower trim panel is normally required to access the striker.
Vertical adjustment of the door edge is made by removing or adding shims under the hinges.