REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure applies to the All-Trac models only.
This service procedures requires use of special tools-machine shop press and oil bath or equivalent-it is best to remove axle shaft and send it out to a machine shop to replace the axle bearing assembly.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel cover, unfasten the lug nuts, and remove the wheel.
- Punch matchmarks on the brake drum and the axle shaft to maintain rotational balance.
- Remove the brake drum or disc brake caliper, disc rotor and related component.
- Remove the backing plate attachment nuts through the access holes in the rear axle shaft flange.
- Use a slide hammer with a suitable adapter to withdraw the axle shaft from its housing. Use care not to damage the oil seal when removing the axle shaft.
- Disconnect the brake line, remove the backing plate and remove the end gasket from the axle housing.
- To replace the axle bearing, cut the axle bearing retainer and press the bearing off the axle shaft.
- Position bearing outer retainer and new bearing on shaft using a press install it to the correct location.
- Heat the inner bearing retainer to about 302F (150°C) in an oil bath-press the inner retainer on the axle shaft. Face the non-beveled side of the inner retainer toward the bearing.
- Remove the oil seal from the axle housing.
The oil seal can be removed from the axle housing by using the end of the rear axle shaft for a puller by placing the outmost lip of the axle shaft against the oil seal inner lip and prying it downward.
- Install the oil seal in the axle housing. Drive the oil seal into the axle housing to a depth of 0.220 inch (5.6mm) using the proper tools.
- Clean flange of the axle housing and backing plate. Apply sealer to the end gasket and retainer gasket as necessary.
- Place end gasket onto end of axle housing with the notch of gasket facing downward. Align the notches of the 2 gaskets and bearing outer retainer with the oil hole of the backing plate.
- Install the backing plate to the axle housing and all necessary components.
- Install the retainer gasket on the axle shaft. Install the rear axle shaft with 4 NEW SELF-LOCKING NUTS tighten to 48 ft. lbs. (66 Nm).
- Install all other necessary parts in reverse order of removal.
- Bleed brake system, install wheel and roadtest for proper operation.