REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Unscrew the retaining screws and remove the upper and lower steering column covers.
- Remove the 2 retaining screws and remove the steering column trim.
- Turn the ignition key to the ACC position.
- Push the lock cylinder stop in with a small, round object (cotter pin, punch, etc.) and pull out the ignition key and the lock cylinder.
You may find that removing the steering wheel and the combination switch makes the job easier.
- Loosen the mounting screw and withdraw the ignition switch from the lock housing.
- Remove the wiring harness bands or clips. Disconnect the ignition switch harness.
- Position the ignition switch so that the recess and the bracket tab are properly aligned. Install the retaining screw.
- Make sure that both the lock cylinder and the column lock are in the ACC position. Slide the cylinder into the lock housing until the stop tab engages the hole in the lock.
- Make certain the stop tab is firmly seated in the slot. Turn the key to each switch position, checking for smoothness of motions and a positive feel. Remove and insert the key a few times, each time turning the key to each switch position.
- Connect the switch if it was removed from the lock assembly.
- Connect the wiring harness and check the assembly for proper operation.
- Reinstall or connect any wiring bands, clips or retainers which were loosened. It is important that the wiring be correctly contained and out of the way of any moving parts.
- Reinstall the combination switch and the steering wheel if they were removed.
- Install the steering column trim and the upper and lower column covers.
- Connect the negative battery cable.