REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle.
- Disconnect the electrical harness or harnesses leading to the switch.
- Remove the bolts retaining the switch to the transmission. Remove the switch.
- Place the switch into position on the transmission.
- Tighten the mounting bolts.
- Attach the harness the switch.
- Make adjustments as necessary.
3-Speed Column Selector
The neutral safety switch/reverse lamp switch on the Toyoglide transmission with a column mounted selector is located under the hood on the shift linkage. If the switch is not functioning properly, adjust as follows:
- Loosen the switch securing bolt.
- Move the switch so that its arm just contacts the control shaft lever when the gear selector is in Drive (D) position.
- Tighten the switch securing bolt.
- Check the operation of the switch. The car should start only in Park (P) or Neutral (N) and the back-up lamps should come on only when Reverse (R) is selected.
- If the switch cannot be adjusted so that it functions properly, replace it with a new one. Perform the adjustment as previously outlined.
Models with a console mounted selector have the neutral safety switch on the linkage located beneath the console.
To adjust it, proceed in the following manner:
- Remove the screws securing the center console.
- Unfasten the console multiconnector, if so equipped, and completely remove the console.
- Adjust the switch in the manner outlined in the preceding column selector section.
- Install the console in the reverse order of removal after completion of the switch adjustment.