REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative (-) cable from the battery.
- On sedans and hardtops, remove the trim panel from inside the tank.
- On station wagons, raise the rear of the vehicle, in order to gain access to the pump. Support it securely.
- Remove the screws which secure the pump access plate to the tank. Withdraw the plate, gasket, and pump assembly.
- Disconnect the leads and hoses from the pump.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. Use a new gasket on the pump access plate.
Do not operate the fuel pump unless it is immersed in gasoline and connected to its resistor.
- Disconnect the lead from the oil pressure warning light sender.
- Unfasten the line from the outlet side of the fuel filter.
- Connect a pressure gauge to the filter outlet with a length of rubber hose.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
- Check the pressure gauge reading against the figure given in the Tune-Up Specifications chart in .
- Check for a clogged filter or pinched lines if the pressure is not up to specification.
- If there is nothing wrong with the filter or lines, replace the fuel pump.
- Turn the ignition OFF and reconnect the fuel line to the filter. Connect the lead to the oil pressure sender also.