REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Drain the cooling system.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Unfasten the fan shroud securing bolts and remove the fan shroud, if so equipped.
- Loosen the alternator adjusting link bolt and remove the drive belt.
- Repeat Step 3 for the air and/or power steering pump drive belt, if so equipped.
- Detach the by-pass hose from the water pump. On the 5M-GE, remove the air cleaner case.
- Unfasten the water pump retaining bolts and remove the water pump and fan assembly, using care not to damage the radiator with the fan.
Some engines require fan coupling and blade removal.
If the fan is equipped with a fluid coupling, do not tip the fan/pump assembly on its side, as the fluid will run out.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. Always use a new gasket between the pump body and its mounting.