- Always observe proper polarity of the battery connections. Be especially careful when jump-starting the car.
- Never ground or short out any alternator or alternator regulator terminals.
- Never operate the alternator with any of its or the battery's leads disconnected.
- Always remove the battery or disconnect both cables (ground cable first) before charging.
- Always disconnect the ground cable when replacing any electrical components.
- Never subject the alternator to excessive heat or dampness if the engine is being steam-cleaned.
- Never use arc welding equipment with the alternator connected.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On some models the alternator is mounted very low in the engine. On these models it may be necessary to remove the gravel shield and work from underneath the car in order to gain access to the alternator.
- Disconnect the battery ground (negative) cable. Unfasten the starter-to-battery cable at the battery end.
- Remove the air cleaner, if necessary, to gain access to the alternator.
- Unfasten the bolts which attach the adjusting link to the alternator. Remove the alternator drive belt.
- Unfasten the alternator wiring connections.
- Remove the alternator attaching bolt and then withdraw the alternator from its bracket.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. After installing the alternator, adjust the belt tension as detailed in .