REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Do not perform this operation on a warm or hot engine.
20R and 22R Engines
- Remove the three exhaust pipe flange bolts and disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold. It may be necessary to remove the outer heat shield first on some models.
- Mark and disconnect the spark plug leads.
- Remove the air cleaner tube from the heat stove.
- Use a 14mm wrench to remove the manifold securing nuts.
- Remove the manifold, complete with air injection tubes and the inner portion of the heat stove.
- Separate the inner portion of the heat stove from the manifold.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the retaining nuts to 29-36 ft. lb., working from the inside out, and in several stages. Tighten the exhaust pipe flange nuts to 25-32 ft. lb.
- Raise the front and the rear of the car and support it with jackstands.
Be sure that the car is securely supported.
- Remove the right-hand gravel shield from beneath the engine.
- Remove the downpipe support bracket.
- Unfasten the bolts from the flange and detach the downpipe from the manifold. It may be necessary to remove the outer heat shield first.
- Remove the automatic choke and air cleaner stove hoses from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove or move aside, any of the air injection system components which may be in the way when removing the manifold. Unfasten the EGR valve and pipes.
- In order to remove the manifold, unfasten the manifold retaining bolts.
Remove and tighten the bolts in two or three stages and, starting from the inside, working out.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. Always use a new gasket. Tighten the retaining bolts to the specifications given in two or three stages.