REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Perform the Cylinder Head Removal procedure as detailed in the appropriate previous information.
- Remove the radiator.
- Remove the alternator.
- On engines equipped with air pumps, unfasten the adjusting link bolts and the drive belt. Remove the hoses from the pump. Remove the pump and bracket from the engine.
- Remove the fan and water pump as a complete assembly.
- Unfasten the crankshaft pulley securing bolt and remove the pulley with a gear puller.
- Loosen the bolts securing the front of the oil pan, after draining the engine oil. Lower the front of the oil pan. It may be necessary to loosen the front motor mounts and jack up the engine slightly on some models.
- Remove the bolts securing the timing chain cover. Withdraw the cover.
The M series engines use two gaskets on the timing chain cover.
- Tighten the timing chain cover bolts to the specifications below:
8R-C and 18R-C engines, all bolts: 11-15 ft. lb.
20R and 22R engines, all bolts: 7-12 ft. lb.
M Series 6 cylinder Engines
8mm bolts: 7-12 ft. lb.
10mm bolts: 14-22 ft. lb.