REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure applies to models without MacPherson struts.
- Remove the hubcap and loosen the nuts.
- Raise the front of the car and support it by using jackstands.
- Remove the lug nuts and the wheel.
- Remove the shock absorber as detailed in the appropriate following section. Unfasten the stabilizer bar from the lower control arm (if equipped).
- Remove the dust cover.
- Install a coil spring compressor and compress the spring until there is no load on it. Place a jack under the spring seat for safety.
- Unfasten the lower ball joint retaining bolts and withdraw the ball joint, complete with the steering knuckle, from the lower control arm.
- Slowly and carefully loosen the spring compressor and remove the spring. (Lower the jack under the spring seat first).
- Inspect the spring, ball joint, and related components for wear or damage. Replace any parts necessary.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. If the spring is being replaced with a new one, be sure to purchase one of the correct load tolerance for your Corona. The ball joint/steering knuckle assembly securing bolts should be tightened to the following specifications:
After completing installation of the coil spring, check to ensure that it is properly seated in the lower suspension arm. Check front end alignment.
The coil springs are not interchangeable from the right side to the left side.Mark II and Crown
- Perform Steps 1-3 of the Corona Coil Spring Removal and Installation procedure. Be sure to observe the Caution.
- Unfasten the stabilizer bar.
- Measure the distance between the serrated bolt holes on the front side of the torque strut and the attachment nut on the rear side to aid in installation. Remove the strut.
- On Crown models, disconnect the brake line.
- Remove the shock absorber, as detailed in the appropriate following section.
- Install the coil spring compressor on the third coil from the bottom. Tighten the compressor until the load is removed from the spring.
- Remove the lower ball joint with a ball joint puller.
- Unbolt and remove the lower control arm.
- Carefully and slowly remove the spring compressor and withdraw the spring.
- Inspect the components of the suspension which were removed for signs of wear or damage. Replace parts as required.
- Install the lower control arm but do not fully tighten the mounting bolts.
- Compress the spring with the spring compressor and install the spring.
Keep the spring compressed after installation.
- Install the lower ball joint on the steering knuckle and tighten it to the specifications given in the Front Spring Installation Specifications chart.
- Install the strut on the lower control arm and temporarily install the other end on the frame.
- The distance between the serrations and the nut should be the same as that measured during removal.
- If a new strut is used, check the chart specifications for the proper installation distance.
- Carefully install the rear side of the strut to the control arm and tighten the mounting nut to the specifications in the chart.
- Slowly remove the spring compressor from the coil spring.
- Install the shock absorber.
- Install the stabilizer bar bracket and the bar.
Be sure to assemble the parts of the bracket in the order in which they were removed.
- Install the wheel, remove the jackstands, and lower the car.
- Tighten the lower control arm and strut front mount to the specifications given in the chart.
These parts should be tightened with the equivalent of passenger weight in the car.
- Check the wheel alignment, after completing installation.