REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it with jackstands. Remove the wheel.
- Remove the front disc brake caliper mounting bolts and position it safely out of the way.
- Pry off the bearing cap and then remove the cotter pin, lock cap and the adjusting nut.
- Remove the axle hub and disc together with the outer bearing and thrust washer.
Be careful not to drop the outer bearing during removal.
- Using a small prybar, pry out the oil seal from the back of the hub and then remove the inner bearing.
- Installation is in the reverse order of removal. Please note the following:
- Place some axle grease into the palm of your hand and then take the bearing and work the grease into it until it begins to ooze out the other side. Coat the inside of the axle hub and bearing cap with the same grease.
- Install the bearing adjusting nut and tighten it to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm). Snug down the bearing by turning the hub several times. Loosen the nut until it can be turned by hand and then, using a spring scale, retighten it until the preload measures 0.8-1.9 lbs. (2.3 lbs. on 1984-85 models).
- Use a new cotter pin when installing the lock cap.