The heater control valve is usually located under the hood near the firewall. On some models it is located under the dash on the passenger's side. It is operated by a cable connected to the dashboard temperature control lever. The valve is opened to admit hot coolant into the heater core when the operator moves the lever into the warm or hot range.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Drain the engine coolant.
- Disconnect the control cable from the valve.
- Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses from the valve.
- If equipped, remove the harness connector.
- If the valve is held by a retaining bolt, remove it, then remove the valve.
- Reinstall in reverse order. Use new hose clamps.
- Move the temperature selector lever to HOT. Adjust the valve lever to the corresponding position and connect the cable. Lift the spring clip and adjust the cable so that the valve achieves full travel to the closed position.
- Refill the coolant.