REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the hub cap (if used) and loosen the lug nuts. Release the parking brake.
- Block the front wheels, raise the rear of the car, and support it with jackstands.
Support the car securely with jackstands and block the front wheels.
- Remove the lug nuts and the wheel.
- Unfasten the brake drum retaining screws.
- Tap the drum lightly with a mallet in order to free it. If the drum is difficult to remove use a puller. But first be sure that the parking brake is released.
Don't depress the brake pedal once the drum has been removed.
- Inspect the brake drum as detailed following.
- Brake drum installation is performed in the reverse order of removal.
- Clean the drum.
- Inspect the drum for scoring, cracks, grooves and out-of-roundness. Replace or turn the drum, as required.
- Light scoring may be removed by dressing the drum with fine emery cloth.
- Heavy scoring will require the use of a brake drum lathe to turn the drum. The service limits of the drum inside diameter are as follows: