REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Loosen the rear wheel lug nuts.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle. Support the frame and rear axle housing with stands.
- Remove the lug nuts and the wheel.
- Remove the cotter pin, nut, and washer from the lower end of the shock absorber.
- Detach the shock absorber from the spring seat pivot pin.
- Remove the parking brake cable clamp.
Remove the parking brake equalizer, if necessary.
- Unfasten the U-bolt nuts and remove the spring seat assemblies.
- Adjust the height of the rear axle housing so that the weight of the rear axle is removed from the rear springs.
- Unfasten the spring shackle retaining nuts. Withdraw the spring shackle inner plate. Carefully pry out the spring shackle with a bar.
- Remove the spring bracket pin from the front end of the spring hanger and remove the rubber bushings.
- Install the rubber bushings in the eye of the spring.
- Align the eye of the spring with the spring hanger bracket and drive the pin through the bracket holes and rubber bushings.
Use soapy water as lubricant, if necessary, to aid in pin installation. Never use oil or grease.
- Finger-tighten the spring hanger nuts and/or bolts.
- Install the rubber bushings in the spring eye at the opposite end of the spring.
- Raise the free end of the spring. Install the spring shackle through the bushings and the bracket.
- Fit the shackle inner plate and finger-tighten the retaining nuts.
- Center the bolt head in the hole which is provided in the spring seat on the axle housing.
- Fit the U-bolts over the axle housing. Install the lower spring seat.
- Tighten the U-bolt nuts to the specifications listed in the following Rear Suspension Torque Specifications Chart.
Some models have two sets of nuts, while others have a nut and lockwasher.
- Install the parking brake cable clamp. Install the equalizer, if it was removed.
- Install the shock absorber end at the spring seat. Tighten the nuts to the specified torque.
- Install the wheel and lug nuts. Lower the car to the ground.
- Bounce the car several times.
- Tighten the spring bracket pins and shackles.
- Repeat Step 13 and check all of the torque specifications again.