The points should be replaced every 12,000 miles (19,300 km), or if they are badly pitted, worn, or burned. To replace them, proceed as follows:
- Disconnect the high tension lead from the coil.
- Unsnap the two distributor cap retaining clips and lift the cap straight up. Leave the leads connected to the cap and position it out of the way.
- Remove the rotor and dust cover by pulling them straight up.
- Unfasten the point lead connector.
- Remove the point retaining clip and unfasten the point hold-down screw(s). It is a good idea to use a magnetic or locking screwdriver to remove the small screws inside the distributor, since they are almost impossible to find once they have been dropped.
- Lift out the point set.
- Install the new point set in the reverse order of removal. Adjust the points as detailed below, after completing installation.