- Remove the charcoal canister from the vehicle. Visually inspect charcoal canister case for cracks or damage.
- Using a low pressure compressed air, blow into the tank pipe and check that air flows without resistance from the other pipes.
- Blow compressed air into the purge pipe and check that air does not flow from the other pipes.
- Clean the filter in the canister by blowing 43 psi of compressed air into the canister tank pipe while holding the other canister tank pipe closed.
- If the charcoal canister fails the inspection replace it.
Do not attempt to wash the canister and no activated carbon should come out of the tank while inspecting it.