REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the terminal, then the positive cable. Special pullers are available to remove the cable clamps.
To avoid sparks, always disconnect the ground cable first, and connect it last.
- Remove the battery hold-down clamp.
- Remove the battery, being careful not to spill the acid.
Spilled acid can be neutralized with a baking soda/water solution. If you somehow get acid into your eyes, flush it out with lots of water and get to a doctor.
- Clean the battery posts thoroughly before reinstalling, or when installing a new battery.
- Clean the cable clamps, using a wire brush, both inside and out.
- Install the battery and the hold-down clamp or strap. Connect the positive, then the negative cable. Do not hammer them in place. The terminals should be coated lightly (externally) with grease to prevent corrosion. There are also felt washers impregnated with an anti-corrosion substance which are slipped over the battery posts before installing the cables. These are available in auto parts stores.