REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Factory block heaters are not installed on Toyota vehicles any more. If an aftermarket one has been installed, the following procedure should be useful. There are two basic types, one for oil and one for coolant. The oil heater usually just slips into the dipstick tube or replaces the oil drain plug. The following procedure is for the coolant type.
- Remove the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the block heater in the same way as the freeze plugs. Some heater units have a bolt that must be loosened or a V-clamp that must be unsecured to remove the heating element.
- Disconnect the heater wire and remove the heater element.
- Coat the new heater with sealant and reinstall into the engine.
- Fill the engine with a coolant and water mixture.
- Start the engine, check for leaks and top off the coolant.