REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the transaxle and clutch assemblies. Remove the rear cover plate, if so equipped.
- Install a suitable flywheel holding tool and remove the flywheel retaining bolts. Remove the flywheel.
- Inspect the flywheel for cracks, heat checks or other damage that would make it unfit for further service. On the vehicles equipped with manual transmissions, check the machine surface of the flywheel to see if it is scored or worn. If the flywheel runout is more than 0.008 in. (0.2mm), replace the flywheel with a new one.
- Install the flywheel and using a suitable flywheel holding tool, tighten the flywheel retaining bolts to specifications.
- Install the clutch and transaxle assemblies. Rear cover plate, if so equipped. Adjust the clutch as necessary.
- Reconnect the negative battery. Start the engine and check for proper starter gear to flywheel meshing.
The ring gear is welded to the base of the flywheel assembly and therefore this assembly must be replaced as a unit.