REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
3Y-EC and 4Y-EC Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the right front seat.
- Remove the engine service hole cover.
- Drain the coolant.
- Disconnect the radiator inlet hoses, radiator breather hose, reservoir tank hose and remove the radiator assembly.
- Remove the fan assembly along with the water pump, if needed, as previously outlined.
- Remove the distributor assembly as previously outlined.
- Remove the cold start injector.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt and, using a suitable pulley puller, remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Remove the timing chain cover retaining bolts and pry off the timing chain cover.
- Remove the 2 timing chain tensioner bolts and remove the chain tensioner.
- Using a suitable camshaft gear holding tool, remove the camshaft sprocket bolt.
- Using a suitable puller, uniformly remove the camshaft sprocket together with the crankshaft sprocket and chain.
- Remove the timing chain cover seal as follows:
- Using a suitable punch and hammer, tap out the old oil seal from the cover.
- Using a suitable seal driver and hammer, drive in a new oil seal until the surface is flush with the edge of the timing chain cover.
- Apply some high temperature multipurpose grease to the lip of the oil seal.
If the timing chain cover is still attached to the engine, use a suitable seal puller to remove the seal and use the rest of the above procedure to finish the job.
- Set the key of the crankshaft sprocket facing upward.
- Align the set key of the camshaft sprocket with the mark on the thrust plate.
- Install the sprocket onto the timing chain. Align the timing marks of the timing chain and sprocket.
- Uniformly install the chain together with the sprockets.
- Apply a light coat of engine oil on the threads and under the bolt head of the camshaft sprocket bolt. Using a suitable camshaft gear holding tool, install the camshaft sprocket bolt. Tighten it to 67 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Install the chain tensioner with the 2 bolts and tighten the bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Install a new timing chain cover gasket and install the chain cover and bolts. Tighten the bolts to 52 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Using a plastic-faced hammer, tap in the crankshaft pulley. Apply a light coat of engine oil on the threads and under the bolt head of the pulley bolt. Install the bolt and tigh