REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the 4WD hub (with the flange) from the axle hub.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Disconnect and plug the brake line from the caliper. Remove the caliper from the axle hub.
- Using a drift punch and a hammer, drive the lock washer tabs away from the locknut.
- Remove the locknut from the halfshaft. Remove the lock washer, the adjusting nut, the thrust washer, the outer bearing and the axle hub/disc assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the knuckle spindle bolts, the dust seal and the dust cover. Using a brass bar and a hammer, tap the steering spindle from the steering knuckle.
- Turn the halfshaft until a flat spot on the outer shaft is in the upper position, then pull the halfshaft from the steering knuckle.
- Using a slide hammer, pull the oil seal from the axle housing.
- Using a clean shop towel, wipe the grease from inside the steering knuckle housing and the halfshaft.
- Using an oil seal installation tool, drive a new oil seal into the axle housing until it seats.
- Install the halfshaft into the axle housing.
- Using multi-purpose grease, fill the steering knuckle cavity to about 3 / 4 full.
- To complete the installation, use new seals/gaskets and reverse the removal procedures.
- Tighten the steering spindle-to-steering knuckle bolts to 38 ft. lbs., the axle hub adjusting nut to 18 ft. lbs., the axle hub locknut to 33 ft. lbs., the free wheel/locking hub nuts to 23 ft. lbs. and the brake caliper to 65 ft. lbs.
To install the wheel bearings with the axle hub, tighten the adjusting nut to 43 ft. lbs., turn the axle hub (back and forth, several times), loosen the nut and retighten the adjusting nut to 18 ft. lbs.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly. Lower the vehicle.