REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the drain plug and drain the differential oil.
- Disconnect the driveshaft flange from the differential companion flange.
- Using a hammer and chisel, loosen the staked part of the differential companion flange retaining nut. Using a suitable holding tool, hold the companion flange and remove the companion flange nut.
- Using a suitable seal removal tool, remove the oil seal and oil slinger.
- Install the oil slinger. Using a suitable seal driver, drive in a new oil seal. The oil seal installed drive in depth should be 0.039 in. (1.0mm). Apply a multi-purpose grease to the oil seal lip.
- Install the companion flange. Coat the threads of the flange retaining nut with a multipurpose grease.
- Using a suitable retaining tool to hold the flange, tighten the flange retaining nut to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm) 1989-90 Cressida 134 ft. lbs. (181 Nm).
- Adjust the front bearing preload as follows:
- Using a torque wrench, measure the preload of the backlash between the drive pinion and the ring gear.
- The new bearing preload for 1983-88 Cressida should be 14-19 inch lbs.
- The new bearing preload for 1989-90 Cressida should be 4-7 inch lbs.
- The used bearing preload for 1983-88 Cressida should be 7-10 inch lbs.
- The used bearing preload for 1989-90 Cressida should be 3-5 inch lbs.
- If the preload is greater than specified, replace the bearing spacer.
- If the preload is less than specified, retighten the nut to 9 ft. lbs. at a time until the specified reload is reached. If the maximum torque is exceeded while retightening the nut, replace the bearing spacer and repeat the preload procedure. Do not back off the pinion nut to reduce the preload. The maximum torque is 174 ft. lbs. (235 Nm), 1989-90 Cressida 250 ft. lbs. (338 Nm).
- Stake the companion flange retaining nut.
- Reconnect the driveshaft flange to the differential companion flange. Tighten the 4 bolts and nuts to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm), 1989-90 Cressida 54 ft. lbs. (74 Nm).
- Complete the installation procedure by reversing the order of the removal procedure. Refill the differential with the proper amount of the gear oil.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Matchmark and remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the companion flange from the differential.
- Using puller 09308-10010 or equivalent, remove the oil seal from the housing.
- Remove the oil slinger.
- Remove the bearing and spacer.
- Install the bearing spacer and bearing.
Lubricate the seal lips with multipurpose grease before installing it.
- Install the oil slinger and using seal installer 09554-30011 or equivalent, install the oil seal.
- Drive the seal into place, to a depth of 0.59 in. (15mm) below the housing lip for 7.5 in. (190.5mm) axles and 0.39 in. (10mm) below the lip for 8 in. (203.2mm) axles.
- Install the companion flange and install the driveshaft.
- Lower the vehicle.