REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Plug the master cylinder inlet to prevent hydraulic fluid from leaking.
- Remove the brake drums and shoes as detailed in the appropriate preceding section.
- Working from behind the backing plate, disconnect the hydraulic line from the wheel cylinder.
- Unfasten the screws retaining the wheel cylinder and withdraw the cylinder.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. Bleed the brake system after installation. However, once the hydraulic line has been disconnected from the wheel cylinder, the union seat must be replaced.
- To replace the seat, proceed in the following manner:
- Use a screw extractor with a diameter of 2.5mm and having reverse threads, to remove the union seat from the wheel cylinder.
- Drive in the new union seat with an 8mm bar, used as a drift.
- Remember to bleed the brake system after completing wheel cylinder, brake shoe and drum installation.
It is not necessary to remove the wheel cylinder from the backing plate if it is only to be inspected or rebuilt.
- Remove the brake drum and shoes. Remove the wheel cylinder only if it is going to be replaced.
- Remove the rubber boots from either end of the wheel cylinder.
- Withdraw the piston and cup assemblies.
- Take the compression spring out of the wheel cylinder body.
- Remove the bleeder plug (and ball), if necessary.
- Check all components for wear or damage. Inspect the bore for signs of wear, scoring, and/or scuffing. If in doubt, replace or hone the wheel cylinder (with a special hone). The limit for honing a cylinder is 0.127mm oversize. Wash all the residue from the cylinder bore with clean brake fluid and blow dry.
- Soak all components in clean brake fluid, or coat them with the rubber grease supplied in the wheel cylinder rebuilding kit.
- Install the spring, cups (recesses toward the center), and pistons in the cylinder body, in that order.
- Insert the boots over the ends of the cylinder.
- Install the bleeder plug (and ball), if removed.
- Assemble the brake shoes and install the drum.
- Bleed the brake system after installation.