REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle safely and remove the front wheels. Place matchmarks on the coupling and steering column shaft. Remove the coupling bolt.
- Disconnect the return and pressure lines from the gear housing.
- Using a suitable puller, remove the relay rod from the pitman arm.
- Remove the gear housing retaining bolts and remove the gear housing from the vehicle.
- Install the gear housing along with the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 43 ft. lbs. (59 Nm).
- Connect the relay rod to the pitman arm and tighten the nut to 43 ft. lbs. (59 Nm).
- Tighten the pitman arm nut to 90 ft. lbs. (123 Nm).
- Tighten the coupling bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Reconnect the return and pressure lines. Refill the power steering reservoir and bleed the air out of the power steering system.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely and remove the front wheels. Place matchmarks on the coupling and steering column shaft. Disconnect the solenoid connectors.
- Disconnect the Pitman arm from the relay rod using a tie rod puller on the Pitman arm set nut. Disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles.
- Remove the steering damper, if so equipped.
- Disconnect the steering gearbox at the coupling. Unbolt the gearbox from the chassis and remove. Remove the grommets from the gear housing.
- Installation is in the reverse order of removal, with the exception of first aligning the matchmarks and connecting the steering shaft to the coupling before bolting the gearbox into the vehicle permanently. Tighten the steering damper bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (26 Nm). Tighten the tie rod ends to 43 ft. lbs. (59 Nm). Tighten the mounting bracket bolts to 56 ft. lbs. (76 Nm).
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assemblies.
- Disconnect and plug the power steering fluid lines from the gear.
- Disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckle.
- Matchmark and disconnect the intermediate shaft from the gear.
- Remove the retaining bolts from the 2 brackets and slide the rack out from under the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the bracket bolts to 56 ft. lbs. (76 Nm), the coupling bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm) and the tie rod bolts to 43 ft. lbs. (59 Nm).