REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Support the axle housing with a floor jack. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Lower the floor jack to take the tension off of the spring. Remove the shock absorber mounting nuts/bolts and the shock absorber.
- Remove the cotter pins and the nuts from the lower end of the stabilizer link. Detach the link from the axle housing.
- Remove the spring-to-axle housing U-bolt nuts, the spring bumper and the U-bolt.
- At the front of the spring, remove the hanger pin bolt. Disconnect the spring from the bracket.
- Remove the spring shackle retaining nuts and the spring shackle inner plate, then carefully pry out the spring shackle with a prybar.
- Remove the spring from the vehicle.
- Install the rubber bushings in the eye of the spring.
- Align the eye of the spring with the spring hanger bracket and drive the pin through the bracket holes and rubber bushings.
Use soapy water as lubricant (if necessary), to aid in pin installation. Never use oil or grease.
- Finger-tighten the spring hanger nuts/bolts.
- Install the rubber bushings in the spring eye at the opposite end of the spring.
- Raise the free end of the spring. Install the spring shackle through the bushings and the bracket.
- Install the shackle inner plate and finger-tighten the retaining nuts.
- Center the bolt head in the hole which is provided in the spring seat on the axle housing.
- Fit the U-bolts over the axle housing. Install the lower spring seat (2WD vehicle) or spring bumper (4WD vehicle) and the nuts.
- To complete the installation, reverse the removal procedures. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 90 ft. lbs., the hanger pin-to-frame nut to 67 ft. lbs., the shackle pin nuts to 67 ft. lbs., the shock absorber bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (4WD vehicle).
When installing the U-bolts, tighten the nuts so that the length of the bolts are equal.