Removal & Installation
3.0L & 3.3L Engines
- Remove the automatic transaxle assembly (2WD) or automatic transaxle and transfer assembly (4WD), as outlined in the Drive Train Section.
- Remove the drive plate and ring gear, as follows:
- Remove the rear main seal, as follows:
Install engine rear oil seal, as follows:
- Apply suitable grease to a new oil seal lip. Make sure to keep the lip away from foreign materials to avoid picking up contamination or debris.
Using SST 09223-15030, 09950-70010 (09951-07100), or their equivalent, and a hammer, tap in the oil seal until its surface is flush with the rear oil seal retainer edge. Tap the seal in squarely to make sure it seats properly
NOTEWipe the extra grease off of the crankshaft.
Install drive plate and ring gear, as follows:
- Fix the crankshaft with SST 09213-54015 (91651-60855), 09330-00021, or their equivalents.
- Clean the bolts and the bolt holes.
- Apply a suitable adhesive (part no. 08833-00070, three bond or equivalent) to 2 or 3 threads of the bolt end.
Install and uniformly tighten the 8 bolts, in several passes in the sequence shown in the accompanying illustration to a final torque of 61 ft. lbs. (83 Nm).
WARNINGDo not start the engine for AT LEAST one hour after installing the seal!
- Install the automatic transaxle assembly (2WD) or automatic transaxle and transfer assembly (4WD), as outlined in the Drive Train Section.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Using Special Tool 09223-15030 or equivalent, tap the new seal into place until the surface is flush with the retainer edge.
Install or connect the following:
- If necessary, perform the initialization procedure, as outlined in the Chassis Electrical System.