- Remove the engine/transaxle assembly.
- Drain the transaxle.
With the 2.4L engine, remove the stiffener plate (5 bolts).
- With the 2.4L engine, remove the right rear engine mount bracket (3 bolts).
- Separate the engine and transaxle.
Remove the 2 bolts and 6 nuts and separate the transfer case from the transaxle. It will be necessary to break it loose with a plastic mallet.
NOTEKeep the transfer case level during removal. Don-t grasp the oil seals.
- Clean all grease from the mating surfaces.
Apply a continuous 1.2mm diameter bead of silicone gasket material to the transaxle and transfer case as shown.
- Join the transfer case to the transaxle within 10 minutes of gasket material application. If not, remove the material and start again.
- Torque the nuts and bolts to 51 ft. lbs. (69 Nm).
The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal. Observe the following torques:
Engine mount bracket: 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm)