Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Install or connect the following:
Drum on the axle
- Refill the master cylinder and pump pedal to attain full brake pedal before Road-testing the vehicle.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Release the parking brake.
- Remove the rear wheel.
- Remove the inspection plug from the brake drum.
- Insert a suitable regular screwdriver through the plug hole in the drum and hold the adjusting lever away from the adjuster.
- Insert a second regular screwdriver and turn the brake shoe adjuster to reduce the size of the adjuster.
- Remove the brake drum.
- Measure the brake drum inside diameter and the diameter of the installed brake shoe assembly.
- Turn the brake shoe adjuster to either retract or expand the brake shoe assembly until the diameter of the brake she assembly is slightly less than that of the drum.
- Install the drum, and turn the wheel/drum assembly. There should be a hardly noticeable drag as the drum is turned.
- Install the wheel and pump the brake pedal several times to fully seat the brakes.
Start the vehicle and very slowly drive back and forwards. Driving backwards and applying the brake pedal causes the rear brake adjuster to self adjust.
NOTEDo not drive backwards at high speeds, for long distances or apply the brakes too hard. A slow speed under 1 mile per hour for a short distance and plying the brake will help the adjuster to self adjust.