IDLE AND MAXIMUM SPEED ADJUSTMENTS
See Figures 1 and 2
The following adjustments are made with the transmission in neutral and the parking brake applied fully.
- Warm the engine to normal operating temperature and allow it to idle.
- Turn the idle adjuster knob counterclockwise; the knob should return to its unlocked position.
- Turn the engine off and remove the accelerator connection rod.
- Connect a tachometer to the engine according the the tachometer manufacturer's instructions.
- Start the engine and check the engine rpm at idle. The idle rpm should be 700 rpm.
- If adjustment is necessary, turn the idle adjusting screw on the fuel injection pump as required to obtain the 700 rpm idle speed.
- Fully depress the injection pump lever, note the maximum engine speed and release the accelerator pedal immediately. The maximum rpm should be 4900.
If adjustment is necessary:
- Remove the wire seal of the maximum speed adjusting screw, if so equipped.
- Using Toyota special service tool #09275-54020 or its equivalent, loosen the locknut of the maximum speed adjusting screw.
- Turn the maximum speed adjusting screw until the proper maximum rpm is obtained.
- Install the accelerator connecting rod and adjust its length so that there is no slack in the accelerator cable.
- Check that the idle speed increases as the idle adjuster knob is pulled outward. Then turn the knob counterclockwise so that the rpm returns to the idle specifications.
- Turn the engine off and disconnect the tachometer from the engine.