REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Recover refrigerant (discharge system) from refrigeration system.
- Disconnect the suction flexible hose from the cooling unit outlet fitting.
- Disconnect the liquid line from the cooling unit inlet fitting. Cap the open fittings immediately to keep the moisture out of the system.
- Remove the grommets from the inlet and outlet fittings.
- Remove the glove box assembly and stay. Disconnect all necessary connectors and the air conditioning harness.
- Remove the cooling unit attaching nuts and bolts. Remove the cooling unit from the vehicle.
- Place the cooling unit on a suitable work bench and remove control amplifier, relay assemblies or power transistor assembly if so equipped.
- Using suitable tools, remove the upper cooling unit case clamps and retaining screws. Remove thermistor with thermistor holder.
- Remove the lower cooling unit case from the evaporator. Remove the evaporator from the cooling unit.
- Remove the heat insulator (heat sensing tube) and the clamp from the outlet tube. Disconnect the liquid line from the inlet fitting of the expansion valve.
- Disconnect the expansion valve from the inlet fitting of the evaporator. Remove the expansion valve.
Before installing the evaporator, check the evaporator fins for blockage. If the fins are clogged, clean them with compressed air. Never use water to clean the evaporator. Check the fittings for cracks and or scratches and replace, as necessary.To install:
- Connect the expansion valve to the inlet fitting of the evaporator and torque it to 17 ft. lbs. Be sure the O-ring is positioned on the tube fitting.
- Connect the liquid line tube to the inlet fitting on the expansion valve. Torque the nut to 10 ft. lbs.
- Install the clamp and heat insulator (heat sensing tube) to the outlet tube.
- Install the upper and lower cases on the evaporator. Install the thermistor. Install control amplifier, relay assemblies or power transistor assembly, if equipped.
- Install the air conditioning wiring harness to the cooling unit and all other necessary components.
- Install the cooling unit assembly in the vehicle. Be careful not to pinch the wiring harness while installing the cooling unit.
- Install the glove box assembly and the grommets on the inlet and outlet fittings.
- Connect the liquid line to the cooling unit inlet fittings and torque to 10 ft. lbs.
- Connect the suction tube to the cooling unit outlet fitting and torque to 24 ft. lbs.
- If the evaporator was replaced, add 1.4-1.7 oz. of compressor oil to the compressor. Connect the negative battery cable.
- Evacuate, charge and test the refrigeration system.
If the drain hose on the cooling unit assembly becomes clogged or blocked with debris the cooling unit will leak water on the front floor rug area.