See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The neutral safety switch prevents the vehicle from starting unless the gearshift selector is in either the P or N positions. If the vehicle will start in any other positions, adjustment of the switch is required.
- Remove the screws which hold the center console in place.
- Remove the electrical connector and remove the console from the vehicle.
- Loosen the switch securing bolts.
- Set the selector in the Drive position.
- Move the switch so that the arm just contacts the control shaft lever.
- Tighten the switch retaining bolts.
- Check the operation of the switch; the truck should start only in Neutral or in Park. The back-up lamps should only operate in the Reverse position.
- If the switch cannot be adjusted so that it functions properly, replace it with a new one.
- Reinstall the console.
- Loosen the neutral start switch bolt.
- Place the gearshift selector lever in the N position.
- Align the shaft groove of the switch with the neutral Basic line. Hold the switch in this position and tighten the switch bolts to 35-60 inch lbs.
- There is also a continuity check on the A340E, A340H and A440F transmissions. Disconnect the electrical connector and connect an ohmmeter between the two terminals.
- Adjust the switch so that there is continuity between terminals N and B .