See Figure 1
All 1975-79 Pick-Ups are equipped with an electric fuel pump. The pump is located inside the fuel tank.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the trim panel from inside the trunk.
- Remove the screws which secure the pump access plate to the fuel tank.
- Withdraw the plate, gasket and pump assembly as one unit.
- Disconnect all leads and hoses from the fuel pump.
- Connect all leads and hoses to the the fuel pump and then position the pump/plate assembly.
Always use a new gasket when installing the fuel pump.
- Install the fuel pump access plate and the trim panel.
- Connect the battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for any leaks.
- Disconnect the lead from the oil pressure warning light sender.
- Unfasten the line from the outlet side of the fuel filter.
- Connect a pressure gauge to the filter outlet with a length of rubber hose.
- Turn the ignition switch to the "ON'' position, but do not start the engine.
- Check the pressure gauge reading against the figure given in the "Tune-Up Specifications'' chart in Engine Performance and Tune-up .
- Check for a clogged filter or pinched lines if the pressure is not up to specification.
- If there is nothing wrong with the filter or lines, replace the fuel pump.
- Turn the ignition OFF and reconnect the fuel line to the filter. Connect the lead to the oil pressure sender also.