REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the cables which are positioned above the valve cover and move the cables aside. Remove the valve cover.
- Disconnect the cables from both batteries.
- Using a wrench on the center crankshaft pulley bolt, rotate the engine (clockwise only) until the TDC mark on the pulley is aligned with the pointer. Check that the valves of the number one cylinder are closed (rocker arms loose). If the valves are not closed, rotate the engine 360° and again align the TDC mark with the pointer.
- Disconnect the fuel injection lines at the injection pump and the injectors. Remove the injection lines.
- Disconnect the fuel feed line at the injection pump and plug the line.
- Remove the engine cooling fan, belts, and water pump pulley.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley, using an appropriate puller.
- Remove the timing belt cover.
- Using a piece of chalk or crayon, mark the relationships between each of the timing gears and the timing belt.
- Remove the timing belt idler pulley, then remove the timing belt.
- Remove the injection pump drive gear, using an appropriate puller.
- Note the factory made alignment mark next to the outer pump fastener. This mark signifies the required relationship between the pump and the timing case assembly. Align this mark during installation.
- Unbolt and remove the injection pump.
DO NOT disassemble the injection pump; only factory authorized repair centers have the facilities to do so. No adjustments are possible.
- Align the injection pump lines on the injection pump and oil pump body. Install the injection pump and tighten the mounting nuts to 15 ft. lbs. ( 21 Nm).
- Install the pump stay and tighten the bolts to 13 ft. lbs. ( 18 Nm).
- Install the injection pump pulley and the timing belt.
- Install the fuel inlet and outlet pipes with new gaskets and tighten the union nut to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- Install the injection pipes as previously detailed.
- Connect the accelerator link on the 2L-T.
- Connect all remaining lines and hoses and then fill the engine with coolant.
- Connect the battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.
- Check the injection timing.