REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Do not perform this procedure on a warm engine. The exhaust and intake manifolds are connected and get very hot.
8R-C and 18R-C Engines
See Figure 1
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, complete with hoses, from its mounting bracket.
- Remove the fuel line, vacuum lines, automatic choke stove hoses, PCV hose, and accelerator linkage from the carburetor.
- Unfasten the carburetor securing nuts. Remove the torque rod support, carburetor, and heat insulator.
- Use a jack to raise the front of the truck. Support the truck with jackstands.
Be sure that the truck is securely supported.
- Unfasten the bolts which attach the downpipe flange to the exhaust manifold.
- In order to remove the manifold assembly, unfasten the manifold retaining bolts. On 1974 California engines, remove the EGR valve and tubes first.
Remove and tighten the bolts in two or three stages, starting from the inside and working out.
- When installing the manifolds, always use new gaskets. Tighten the manifold securing bolts to the figure shown in the Torque Specifications chart, in the reverse sequence of removal. Install the carburetor and air cleaner.
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, complete with hoses.
- Disconnect the accelerator and choke linkages from the carburetor, as well as the fuel and vacuum lines. Remove the hand throttle linkage.
- Remove, or move aside, any of the emission control system components which are in the way.
- Disconnect the oil filter lines and remove the oil filter assembly from the intake manifold. Unfasten the solenoid valve wire from the ignition coil terminal. Remove the EGR pipes from the exhaust gas cooler, if so equipped.
- Unfasten the retaining bolts and remove the carburetor from the manifold.
- Loosen the manifold retaining nuts, working from the inside out, in two or three stages.
- Remove the intake/exhaust manifold assembly from the cylinder head as a complete unit.
- When installing the manifolds, always use new gaskets. Tighten the bolts, working from the inside out.
Tighten the bolts in two or three stages.