REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Set the hub control handle to the FREE position.
- Remove the hub bolts which retain the front cover and handle assembly and remove the assembly.
- Remove the snapring from the axle shaft using snapring pliers.
- Remove the hub body mounting nuts.
- Remove the cone washers from the hub body mounting studs by tapping on the washer slits with a tapered punch.
- Remove the hub body from the axle hub.
- Install the hub with a new gasket and tighten the mounting nuts to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- Install the bolt and washer and tighten it to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Coat the inner hub splines with grease.
- Make sure the control handle on the cover is still at FREE (if not automatic), position a new gasket in the cover and install the cover so that the pawl tabs are lines up with the non-toothed portions of the hub body. Tighten the mounting nuts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the snapring which attaches the control handle to the hub cover. Remove the control handle.
- Remove the ball and spring from the control handle.
- Remove the snapring which holds the free wheel hub ring and the inner hub into the hub body.
- Remove the inner hub and the free wheel hub ring from the hub body.
- Remove the snapring from the inner hub and remove the free wheel hub and spacer from the inner hub.
- Check all parts for damage or excessive wear.
- Temporarily install the control handle into the hub cover and make sure the handle operates freely.
- Check that the clutch slides freely within the hub.
- Measure the inner diameter of the hub ring and the outer diameter (smooth surface) of the inner hub. The difference between these measurements should be no greater than 0.30mm.
See Figure 3
- Apply a coat of multipurpose grease to the sliding service of each part.
- Install the seal, spring, and ball into the control handle.
- Install the control handle and snapring.
- Install the tension spring into the clutch with the end of the spring aligned with the initial groove of the clutch.
Install the follower pawl as follows:
- Place the pawl on the tension spring with one of the large tabs (of the pawl) against the bent end of the tension spring.
- Place the top ring of the tension spring on the small tabs of the pawl.
- Position the hub cover into the large end of the tension spring. Compress the spring and install the clutch with the pawl tab of the clutch fit to the control handle.
- Install the inner hub and hub ring into the hub body. Install the snapring.
- Temporarily install the cover and handle assembly into the hub body. Adjust the control handle to the FREE position and check that the inner hub turns smoothly.
- Remove the cover and handle assembly from the hub body and install these components as previously outlined.