REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 91970-78 Pick-Up-2WD
- Remove the hub cap and loosen the lug nuts.
- Raise the front of the truck and support the front suspension crossmember with jackstands.
- Remove the lug nuts and the wheel.
- Remove the stabilizer bar connecting bolts and remove the bracket parts, being careful to note their removal sequence in order to aid in installation.
- Remove the tie rod cotter pin and nut. Use a puller to remove the end of the tie rod from the knuckle arm.
- Remove the shock absorber. Detach the brake hose.
- Raise the lower control arm using a jack, so that the arm is free of the steering knuckle.
- Loosen the ball joint attachment nut and remove the ball joint.
- Slowly lower the jack underneath the control arm.
- Remove the coil spring and its insulator from beneath the truck.
- Inspect the coil spring, its insulator, and bumper for cracks, wear or damage. Replace parts as necessary.
- A coil spring compressor should be used to install the spring, rather than the method for removing it.
- Tighten the suspension components to the following specifications:
Lower control arm:
Ball joint: 87-123 ft.lbs.