REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise the front of vehicle and place support stands under the chassis frame.
Do not place supports under front axle housing.
- Remove wheel.
- Remove the bolt from the bottom of the shock absorber and raise shock up out of the way.
- If removing driver's side front leaf spring, remove the cotter pin from the end of the steering drag link at the axle housing. Unscrew the slotted bolt in the end of the drag link and remove the bolt, spring holder, spring, and outer socket holder. Remove drag link from steering knuckle arm.
Be careful not to lose inner socket holder.
- Remove stabilizer bar bolt and spacer and washer assembly.
- Disconnect the brake line at the holder behind the brake assembly. Drive out the shim holding the brake line to the holder and withdraw the brake line. Plug the end of brake line to prevent fluid loss.
- Position a jack under the front axle housing and raise it just enough to put pressure on the leaf spring. Remove the 4 nuts holding the 2 U-bolts to the axle housing and remove the U-bolts. Remove the lower spring seat and spring bumper.
- Lower the jack enough to take the pressure off the leaf spring, but so it still supports the axle housing.
- Remove the hanger pin and shackle pin mounting nuts and then remove the 2 pins. Carefully pry the spring from its holders.
It may be necessary to lower the jack under the axle housing to remove spring.To install:
- Insert the bushings into the frame and each end of the leaf. Position the spring, install the hanger pin and tighten the bolt to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Finger tighten the hanger pin nut and install the shackle pin. Install the plate and finger tighten the nuts.
- Install the spring bumper and U-bolts onto the leaf. Install the spring seat and nuts. Tighten the nuts to 90 ft. lbs. (123 Nm).
When tightening the U-bolts, the exposed length of each bolt below the nut should be the same for all 4 threaded ends.
- Connect the drag link to the steering knuckle arm.
- Connect the stabilizer bar and tighten the nuts to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the shock absorber.
- Lower the truck and bounce it a few times to stabilize the suspension.
- Tighten the hanger pin nut to 67 ft. lbs. (91 Nm). Tighten the shackle pin nut to 67 ft. lbs. (91 Nm).
See Figures 4 and 5
- Remove the wheels and then raise the front of the truck and support it on safety stands.
- Position a floor jack under the differential housing and lower it until there is no tension on the leaf springs.
- Remove the shock absorber.
- Remove the U-bolt mounting nuts, pull the spring set away and remove the U-bolts.
- Remove the hanger and shackle pin mounting nuts. Remove the pins and then lift out the leaf spring.
It may be necessary to lower the ja