REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Loosen the rear wheel lug nuts.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle. Support the frame and rear axle housing with stands.
- Remove the lug nuts and the wheel.
- Remove the cotter pin, nut, and washer from the lower end of the shock absorber.
On the Land Cruiser, perform the following:
- Remove the cotter pins and nuts from the lower end of the stabilizer link.
- Detach the link from the axle housing.
- Detach the shock absorber from the spring seat pivot pin.
- Remove the parking brake cable clamp (except Land Cruiser).
Remove the parking brake equalizer, if necessary.
- Unfasten the U-bolt nuts and remove the spring seat assemblies.
- Adjust the height of the rear axle housing so that the weight of the rear axle is removed from the rear springs.
- Unfasten the spring shackle retaining nuts. Withdraw the spring shackle inner plate. Carefully pry out the spring shackle with a bar.
- Remove the spring bracket pin from the front end of the spring hanger and remove the rubber bushing.
- Remove the spring.
- Install the rubber bushing in the eye of the spring.
- Align the eye of the spring with the spring hanger bracket and drive the pin through the bracket holes and rubber bushings.
Use soapy water as lubricant, if necessary, to aid in pin installation. Never use oil or grease.
- Finger-tighten the spring hanger nuts and/or bolts.
- Install the rubber bushing in the spring eye at the opposite end of the spring.
- Raise the free end of the spring. Install the spring shackle through the bushing and the bracket.
- Install the shackle inner plate and finger-tighten the retaining nuts.
- Center the bolt head in the hole which is provided in the spring seat on the axle housing.
- Fit the U-bolts over the axle housing. Install the lower spring seat. Install the spring bumper on later 4WD models.
- Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 90 ft. lbs. (123 Nm).
Some models have 2 sets of nuts, while others have a nut and lockwasher. Be sure that the exposed thread of the U-bolt is the same length on all U-bolt ends.
- Install the parking brake cable clamp. Install the equalizer, if it was removed.
Pick-Up, 4Runner and Land Cruiser:
- Raise the rear axle with the jack so that the stands no longer support the frame.
- Tighten the hanger pin and shackle nuts.
- Install the shock absorber bushings and washers. Tighten, and install the cotter pins.
- Install the stabilizer link and hand tighten its retaining nuts (Land Cruiser).
- Install the wheels, remove the stands, and lower the vehicle to the ground.
- Bounce the truck several times to set the suspension and then tighten the shock absorber bolt. Tighten the hanger pin and shackle pin to 67 ft. lbs. (91 Nm).