REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Loosen the rear wheel lug nuts.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle. Support the frame and rear axle housing with stands.
- Remove the lug nuts and the wheel.
- Remove the cotter pin, nut, and washer from the lower end of the shock absorber.
- Detach the shock absorber from the spring seat.
- Remove the parking brake cable clamp.
Remove the parking brake equalizer, if necessary.
- Unfasten the U-bolt nuts and remove the spring seat assemblies.
- Adjust the height of the rear axle housing so that the weight of the rear axle is removed from the rear springs.
- Unfasten the spring shackle retaining nuts. Withdraw the spring shackle inner plate. Carefully pry out the spring shackle with a bar.
- Remove the spring bracket pin from the front end of the spring hanger and remove the rubber bushing.
- Remove the spring. Use care not to damage the hydraulic brake line or the parking brake cable.
- Install the rubber bushing in the eye of the spring.
- Align the eye of the spring with the spring hanger bracket and drive the pin through the bracket holes and rubber bushings.
Use soapy water or glass cleaner as a lubricant, if necessary, to aid in pin installation. Never use oil or grease.
- Finger-tighten the spring hanger nuts and/or bolts.
- Install the rubber bushing in the spring eye at the opposite end of the spring.
- Raise the free end of the spring. Install the spring shackle through the bushing and the bracket.
- Install the shackle inner plate and finger-tighten the retaining nuts.
- Center the bolt head in the hole which is provided in the spring seat on the axle housing.
- Fit the U-bolts over the axle housing. Install the lower spring seat.
Tighten the U-bolt nuts to:
1 / 2 -ton Pick-Up-108 ft. lbs. (147 Nm)
- Install the parking brake cable and clamp. Install the equalizer, if it was removed.
- Tighten the hanger pin and shackle nuts. Install the shock absorber bushings and washers. Tighten, and install the cotter pins.
- Install the stabilizer link and hand tighten its retaining nuts.
- Install the wheels, remove the stands, and lower the vehicle to the ground.
Bounce the truck several times to set the suspension and then tighten the shock absorber bolt. Tighten the hanger pin nut or bolt to:
1 / 2 -ton Pick-Up-116 ft. lbs. (157 Nm)
- Tighten the shackle pin to 67 ft. lbs. (91 Nm) for all vehicles.