REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1989-90 Land Cruiser
- Remove the wheels, then raise the front of the vehicle and support it on safety stands. Make certain the stands are placed under the frame rails.
- Position a floor jack under the differential housing and lower it until there is no tension on the leaf springs.
- Remove the shock absorber.
- Remove the U-bolt mounting nuts, pull the spring set away and remove the U-bolts.
- Remove the hanger and shackle pin mounting nuts. Remove the pins and then lift out the leaf spring.
It may be necessary to lower the jack under the axle housing to remove spring.To install:
- Insert the bushings into the frame and each end of the leaf. Position the spring, install the hanger pin and tighten the bolt to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Finger-tighten the hanger pin nut and install the shackle pin. Install the plate and finger-tighten the nuts.
- Insert the head of the center leaf spring bolt into the hole in the axle housing bracket and then install the U-bolts onto the leaf. Install the spring seat and nuts. Tighten the nuts to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm).
When tightening the U-bolts, the exposed length of each bolt below the nut must be the same for all 4 threaded ends.
- Install the shock absorber.
- Lower the truck and bounce it a few times to stabilize the suspension.
- Tighten the hanger pin nut to 90 ft. lbs. (123 Nm). Tighten the shackle pin nut to 67 ft. lbs. (91 Nm).