The neutral safety switch prevents the vehicle from starting unless the gearshift selector is in either the P or N positions. If the vehicle will start in any other positions, adjustment or replacement of the switch is required.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATIONA340E and A340F
See Figure 1
On some models it will be necessary to remove the oil cooler pipes for access.
- Disconnect the harness for the neutral safety switch.
- Pry off the washer and remove the nut, then remove the bolt for the switch.
- Attach the switch to the vehicle with the bolt, tighten to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Install a new lock plate and nut. Tighten the nut to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
- Stake the nut with the lock plate.
- Adjust the neutral safety switch.
- Attach the harness to the switch.
- Attach the oil cooler pipes.
See Figures 2 and 3
- Unstake the lockwasher.
- Remove the nut and bolt, then the lockwasher and grommet.
- Slide the switch off the manual lever shaft.
- Insert the neutral safety switch onto the manual lever shaft, then temporarily tighten the adjusting bolt.
- Install the grommet and a new lockwasher. Install and tighten the nut to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
- Using the control shaft lever, turn the manual valve lever shaft forwards and return two notches. It is now in neutral.
- Align the switch basic line and the switch groove, then tighten the adjusting bolt. Tighten to 48 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Bend the tabs of the lockwasher over the nut.
- Loosen the neutral start switch bolt.
- Place the gearshift selector lever in the N position.
- Align the shaft groove of the switch with the neutral Basic line. Hold the switch in this position and tighten the switch bolts on the A43D to 48 inch lbs. (6 Nm) and all others to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- With the parking brake set and the brake pedal fully applied, attempt to start the engine in each shifter range. The engine should only start in N or P .