REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The center support bearing is a sealed unit which requires no periodic maintenance. The following procedure should be used if it becomes necessary to replace the bearing. Toyota does not supply individual parts for the bearing replacement only the assembly. See your local jobber if necessary.
- Remove the intermediate driveshaft and the center support bearing assembly.
- Paint mating marks on the universal joint flange and the intermediate driveshaft.
- Remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the intermediate driveshaft; the nut will be staked. Remove the universal joint flange from the driveshaft using a press.
- Remove the center support bearing assembly from the driveshaft.
- Remove the two bolts from the bearing housing and remove the housing.
- Remove the dust deflectors from both sides of the bearing cushion. Remove the dust deflectors from either side of the bearing.
- Remove the snaprings from each side of the bearing. This is easy to do if you have a snapring tool which fits the holes in the ring, and very difficult otherwise. Remove the bearing.
- Install the new bearing into the cushion and fit a snapring on each side.
- Apply a coat of multi-purpose grease to the dust deflectors and put them in their respective places on each side of the bearing. The single deflector with a slightly larger diameter goes on the rear of the bearing.
- Press the dust deflector onto each side of the cushion. The water drain holes in the deflectors should be in the same position on each side of the cushion. The water drain holes should face the bottom of the housing.
- Press the support bearing assembly firmly onto the intermediate driveshaft, with the seal facing front.
- Match the mating marks painted earlier, and install the universal joint flange to the driveshaft. Install the center bearing on the intermediate shaft and tighten the nut to 134 ft. lbs. (181 Nm). Loosen the nut and then retighten it to 51 ft. lbs. (69 Nm). Stake the nut.
Check to see if the center support bearing assembly will rotate smoothly around the driveshaft.
- When reinstalling the driveshaft, be certain to match up the marks on both the front transmission flange and the flange on the sleeve yoke of the rear driveshaft.