REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 though 8
- Drain the cooling system.
- On 3F-E engines, disconnect the 2 vacuum hoses from the Bimetal Vacuum Switching Valve (BVSV), the cold start injector time switch wire and the water temperature switch connector.
- Unbolt the housing, then remove the water inlet with the hose attached. If there is not enough room to pull both housing and hose out, you may want to disconnect the hose first. On 3F-E engines, remove the clamp bolt for the ISC water bypass pipe. Make certain to remove the gasket with the water inlet. Some of it will probably stick to the housing and require scraping.
- Remove the thermostat.
- When installing a new thermostat always use a new gasket. Be sure that the thermostat is positioned with the spring down or into the housing. On 3VZ-E engines, the jiggle valve (looks like a small rivet in the edge of the thermostat) must be at the top or 12 o'clock position.
- Install the water inlet. Install the bolts finger-tight until the inlet is positioned exactly. Tighten the bolts to 10-14 ft. lbs. (13-19 Nm). Overtightening will break the ear off the housing and spoil your afternoon-don't do it.
- Install the hoses and wire connectors removed for access. Make certain the coolant hoses are not kinked or twisted after installation. Do not overtighten the hose clamps.
- Fill the cooling system with coolant.
- Start the engine and check for leaks. Top off any fluid levels.