REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
Only the 3F-E engine uses valve lifters. These are cylindrical devices between the bottom of the pushrod and the lobe of the camshaft. The lifter follows the motion of the camshaft lobe, meeting it with a broad smooth face. The pushrod would not stay in place on the cam lobe if the lifter were not present.
- Remove the valve rocker shaft assembly and pushrods, following procedures outlined in this section.
- Remove the pushrod cover, the long 3el on the side of the engine block.
- Remove the lifters, keeping them in order. The surfaces of the lifter have become matched to the respective cam lobe and pushrod; interchanging will increase wear. Some of the lifters will be down inside the bores; a magnetic finger tool will be useful.
- Clean each lifter thoroughly. Use a micrometer to measure lifter diameter. Standard diameter is 0.8420-0.8427 inch (21.387mm-21.404mm).
- Install the lifters in their correct location. A light coat of clean oil is helpful. Make certain the lifters are not upside down.
- Install a new pushrod cover gasket and install the cover. Tighten the nuts and bolts to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm). This is little more than finger-tight; do not overtighten.
- Install the rocker shaft assembly.