REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Refer to General Information & Maintenance for details on battery maintenance.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the terminal, then disconnect the positive cable. Special pliers and pullers are available to remove the clamps. Be careful of the many wires and fittings on and around the positive terminal.
To avoid sparks, always disconnect the negative cable first and reconnect it last.
- Unscrew and remove the battery hold down clamp.
- Remove the battery, being careful not to spill any of the acid.
Spilled acid can be neutralized with a baking soda and water solution. If you somehow get acid into your eyes, flush it out with lots of clean water and get to a doctor as quickly as possible.
- Clean the battery posts thoroughly before reinstalling or when installing a new one. A light coating of petroleum jelly or battery terminal spray protectant will help fight corrosion.
- Clean the cable clamps using the special tools or a wire brush, both inside and out.
- Install the battery, and the hold down clamp. Connect the positive and then the negative cable. Do not hammer them into place. The terminals should be coated with grease to prevent corrosion.