These tests must be performed within a 3 to 5 seconds to avoid burning out the coil.Pull-in
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the field coil lead wire from terminal C.
- Connect the battery to the magnetic switch shown in the diagram.
- Check that the clutch pinion gear moves in the outward motion.
See Figure 2
With the battery connected as in the picture and with the clutch pinion gear out, disconnect the negative (-) lead from terminal C. Check that the pinion gear stays in the outward position.
See Figure 3
Disconnect the negative lead from the magnetic switch body. Check that the pinion gear returns to the inward position.
See Figure 4
- Connect the battery ammeter to the starter as shown in the illustration.
- Check the rotation of the starter, it must be smooth and steady with the pinion gear moving outwards. Compare the ammeter reading to the starter specifications chart.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 5
Replacing the starter while the engine is cold is recommended. A hot engine can result in personal injury.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the nut and disconnect the battery cable from the magnetic switch on the starter motor.
- Disconnect the remaining electrical connections at the starter.
- Remove the nuts and/or bolts securing the starter to the bell housing, then pull the starter toward the front of the vehicle to remove.
- Insert the starter into the bell housing being sure that the starter drive teeth are engaged with the flywheel teeth, not jammed against the flywheel.
- Tighten the attaching hardware to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm) and replace all electrical connections.
- Connect the positive battery cable (starter wire) to the starter.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 6
The starter relays on most of your Toyota trucks are located either in the relay block in the engine compartment or on the driver's side junction block. The cover for the relay compartments should be marked, "starter'' or the relay will have a part number with a suffix of 28300-XXXXX. Simply locate the relay, pull it out, and install a new one if needed.