Adjustments to the manual steering gear are not necessary during normal service. Adjustments are performed only as part of overhaul.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the steering coupling set bolt where it connects to the worm shaft. Make matchmarks on the shaft and flexible coupling.
- Separate the relay rod from the Pitman arm.
- Remove the 3 mounting bolts and lift out the steering gear housing.
- Position the gear housing so that the worm shaft is lined up in the steering coupling and tighten the mounting bolts to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm).
- Tighten the Pitman arm mounting nut to 90 ft. lbs. (123 Nm).
- Connect the Pitman arm to the relay rod, then tighten the nut to 67 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Tighten the coupling set bolt to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Fill the gear housing with gear oil.
See Figure 2
- Remove the joint protector set bolt.
- Matchmark the universal joint to the worm shaft and remove the U-joint bolts. Disconnect the U-joint from the worm shaft.
- Remove the Pitman arm set nut and then disconnect the arm from the gear housing.
- Remove the 3 housing-to-frame mounting bolts and lift out the gear housing.
- Position the housing, then tighten the bolts to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm).
- Connect the U-joint to the worm shaft so that the marks are in alignment, then tighten the bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Install the joint protector and its bracket set bolt.
- Connect the Pitman arm, then tighten the nut to 130 ft. lbs. (177 Nm).
See Figure 3
- Place the wheels facing straight ahead.
- Remove the steering wheel pad.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the right and left hand tie rod ends.
- Disconnect the intermediate No. 2 shaft.
- Remove the manual steering gear assembly set bolts, nuts and washers, then lower the assembly from the vehicle.
- Attach the manual steering gear assembly into the vehicle. Tighten the set bolts, nuts and washers to 148 ft. lbs. (201 Nm).
- Attach the intermediate No. 2 shaft.
- Connect the right and left side tie rod ends.
- Position the front wheels facing straight ahead. Do it with the front of the vehicle jacked up.
- Center the spiral cable.
- Install the steering wheel. Align the matchmarks on the wheel and steering column mainshaft. Temporarily tighten the wheel set nut, then connect the harness.
- Check the steering wheel center point.
- Tighten the steering wheel set nut to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Check the front end alignment.