Adjustments to the manual steering gear are not necessary during normal service. Adjustments are performed only as part of overhaul.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the steering coupling set bolt where it connects to the worm shaft. Make matchmarks on the shaft and flexible coupling.
- Separate the relay rod from the Pitman arm.
- Remove the 3 mounting bolts and lift out the steering gear housing.
- Position the gear housing so that the worm shaft is lined up in the steering coupling and tighten the mounting bolts to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm).
- Tighten the Pitman arm mounting nut to 90 ft. lbs. (123 Nm).
- Connect the Pitman arm to the relay rod, then tighten the nut to 67 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Tighten the coupling set bolt to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Fill the gear housing with gear oil.
See Figure 2
- Remove the joint protector set bolt.
- Matchmark the universal joint to the worm shaft and remove the U-joint bolts. Disconnect the U-joint from the worm shaft.
- Remove the Pitman arm set nut and then disconnect the arm from the gear housing.
- Remove the 3 housing-to-frame mounting bolts and lift out the gear housing.
- Position the housing, then tighten the bolts to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm).
- Connect the U-joint to the worm shaft so that the marks are in alignment, then tighten the bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).