REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Without Air Bag
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Position the wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Remove the steering wheel center pad. Check the back of the steering wheel spokes for recessed screws holding the pad and remove them if present. If no screws are found, the pad should snap out with firm finger pressure.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut.
- Scribe matchmarks on the hub and the steering shaft to aid in proper installation.
- Use the puller to extract the wheel from the shaft. Unplug any wiring connectors running to the wheel once it is loose.
- Align the matchmarks on the wheel hub and shaft. Attach any wiring connectors to the wheel and make certain the wiring is positioned correctly. Install the wheel onto the shaft.
- Install the center nut and tighten it to 25-35 ft. lbs. (34-47 Nm).
- Install the center pad, making sure it is correctly secured.
- Test drive the vehicle, checking for correct steering wheel alignment and horn function.
See Figures 7, 8 and 9
- Disarm the SRS system.
- On models without tilt steering, proceed as follows:
- Remove the steering wheel set nut. A special wheel puller may be needed. Place matchmarks on the steering wheel and mainshaft assembly. Remove the wheel.
- Unplug the harness.
- Align the matchmarks on the wheel and the mainshaft. Tighten the wheel set nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Attach the harness.
- Attach the air bag harness, then install the wheel pad after confirming that the circumference groove of the Torx® screw is caught on the screw case.
- Using a Torx® driver, tighten the screws to 78 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Install the steering wheel covers.
- Check the steering wheel center point.